Friday, October 22, 2010

Two Cents Worth

What's on your mind?

Posted by May
Understanding Hawaiians' intense "dislike" for Haole (White Americans)
I watched the movie "Princess Kaiulani" last night which took me back to my country's history itself. The movie was about how a princess of Hawaii fought for her country in a civilized manner when US annexed the then-independent Hawaii state. Saying "Without my country, what do I fade into?" gave me new understanding of Hawaiians' dislike for Americans at the same time, loyalty to one's root.
***
Posted by May
How many times must a girl move in a lifetime?
In the span of 6 years, I have moved 9 times, 9 homes in 9 places. For an individual who was busy with work and what not, that's just too many times. I never got used to it, I don't ever wanna get used to it. However, the mind has a plan of its own and it relays messages to the body, making it harder for me to unpack the rest of my stuff knowing that "I'd move again soon somehow" and so is the case.  The good things that come out of these are the places I get to discover, the people and the little favorite things only a resident is allowed to know like how many times the sun rises late, the best bakeshop, the cheapest shoe store, the best meat district, the best coffee...

I found my new root in Manila, in Korea too, I wanna find my new root here in USA..

***

Posted by May-
What is an ideal place for a family?
Searching for the right place to set new roots and start a small family is probably the biggest and most important question that I have to face this year. Where? Both my hubby and I are very imaginative, creative and ambitious people. The woman in me wants a big new house, a yard for a doggie and baby, 4 seasons, a dream job and safe neighborhood. As far as searching goes, USA is not the best place to live in (say goodbye to American Dream) anymore. I say this due to the following factors: 1. taxes  2. terrorism  3. safety  4. racism  5. too liberated

I still believe in setting a conservative, God-fearing based values to a child. But with too much freedom of speech going on, freedom in all sense defeats all that.

***

Posted by May
Marijuana (photo: wikipedia)
What's weed got to do with it?
Hawaii is a tremendously pristine, culturally rich, total paradise USA state. It stands on its history, its roots and the men women who made Hawaii an ideal place for tourists and families of today. But how did weed enter the picture?

I came to this island without an idea of what weed or "Maryjane" looks and smells like. I NEVER CARE FOR THIS STUFF. But what do you know, Hawaiians do! Surely everyone has heard of the words hippies, pot, weed, Taylor Camp, nudity. They all happened in real life, they existed big time once in the 60s-70s on Kauai, flown from the mainland by political unrest. Then, it became Hawaii's major social as well as political problem and driving these "carefree people" away was a huge mess. Hawaii became one giant land of marijuana (cannabis) plantation. And then there's METH.


Having elderly people around the neighborhood I'm currently in, sometime in their youth they belonged to a pot-sniffin' group that could still be around. They come and go, sober or passed out drinking and smoking marijuana. Unfortunately for me, sometimes I pass them by and I cant help asking myself "What is that smell"? It's not a big deal. To them they're just smokin' and chillin'. To me, it educated me on the big difference between pot and marlboro lights. I can't help but hate it.

***

Posted by May
The Racist in You
You as well as everybody else can deny that there's a teenie bit of racist in you somewhere. But take a look deeper and guess what, it exists in you. I was not a racist person having brought up in a small "developing" country, there's just no way I could be racist. People who grew up in a poor country do not have time nor energy to waste much less to talk about such hatred towards other race. Surviving the daily life was enough to fill minds and time. Until recently for me. I always look up to journalists or news anchors as people I admire. Wherever I go, I find a good journalist and follow the person. So I found Shepherd Smith and Megyn Kelly of FOX news as my daily morning companions. Watching them, I was introduced to Mexican drug cartels and illegal "border crossers" since they dominate the news. Two weeks later, when deciding to move to the state of California, my first question was "Are there many Mexicans"? I don't know what that means to me but I think I just formed a racist opinion with that simple question.

***
USA: "The Lawsuit Nation"
Posted by May (quoting FOX news channel)

Every single morning, I start my day with Megyn Kelly and end it with Shephard Smith. They bring the latest news and it is alwasy fun to watch and be aware of what's going on around you with your favorite news anchors. However, every single day, there's always reports of people suing someone or some companies. Little or big details, they discuss even the most ridiculous case on "Kelly's Court" where panels of lawyers voice out their sides of the cases. Then, Megyn Kelly gets to summarize at the end.

What I think about this? I got concerned. Glad that people know their rights and all but if you can get sued over facebook or youtube videos...it is becoming scary! Freedom of speech, yes, I'm all for it. But you'll never know, someone might get "offended" over no-brainer issue or photos/ videos and sue you! Then, finally yesterday I heard an anchor say it "we are the lawsuit nation". Amen to that.

****
photo from wikipedia
Sodas & Taxes
posted by May

I was watching the news one day and guess what I heard, sodas and flavored water are soon gonna be taxed heavily by the Fed govt. Some companies are preparing to veto the bill but what do I think? I think this action will give everyone better health and will set people back to drinking the good old water. Americans drink sodas almost everyday and frankly, we at home have bottles of sodas -zero or not - as importantly as having water! I used to drink coke on holidays or birthdays are part of the party food but my husband drinks all zero or diet sodas daily. And this is not healthy at all. So I say YES to soda taxes. This way less people will buy and drink them, children wont even start. I will just ignore the rest of the facts like it is bad for soda companies. Health is wealth.



4 comments:

  1. Dear May,
    I love your blog. I was married in Hawaii and I have immense love and respect for your beautiful islands. The setting for my novel is Hawaii and I did a lot of research for it. You are right it is paradise!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! A novel set in Hawaii! I'd surely read it! Goodluck and buzz when it's done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't been there yet, May, but everything I've ever seen of it has great appeal!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Truly, amazing Hawaii. What you see in postcards and travel magazines, and more! No words to describe the beauty of Hawaii...

    ReplyDelete