Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Life of a Wife (Wife Journal)


Posted by May - "On Interests & Hobbies"

I'm married to a great guy. Let me write a little (or a lot) about him. He's an engineer stationed in Hawaii. His hobbies and past time activities are nothing that I do. Besides designing engineering stuff, he dreams of becoming an inventor as well. He often asks me "what do you need in life that hasn't been invented yet?" I answered once : a nail art machine that would not make me move a muscle. But yeah, this has been invented. So I will keep on thinking. He wants to be rich and we share the same dream (oh, yeah!). He's fond of everything that moves fast: boats, snowboards, cars, motorcycles, kayak and surfboards. I dubbed these as DA -- Dangerous Activities. And what are my hobbies? The 4S1W: Shopping, Sightseeing, Selling (Trendygirls) Studying and Writing. I'm not into anything active. If I were, I'd be the star of "The Fast and the Furious".

Once, he told me that we have nothing to talk about that's hobby-related. I talk about shoes, traveling and my love for writing children's books and becoming a publisher someday. He talks about wanting to be a videographer on the side. I discuss shoe-designing. He discussed the possibility of being a band drummer once again.

One day I told him I wanna design a webquest for teaching, he told me he could be a Senator!! I love music but only listening and singing-along. I love dance songs, R&B and the old 70s songs. He loves all bands and groups whose names and songs I have never ever heard before. Did I mention his passion for cooking? Wow factor for me since I dont have that same passion (except for wating). It's rare to find a man who moves well in the kitchen. He does and he makes great-tasting food. I can make food but I'm gonna burn all pots, pans and my hands first. I like jogging, he thinks jogging is tiring. But despite all the differences, we do have more things in common: traveling, taking photos, love for eating, love for National geographics and History Channel, movies, love for sunset by the beach, hating the same things and loving our weirdness.

So this 2010, I'm pursuing stuff that are 60% dedicated to him. I will be learning things that HE DOES DO. So we could have that 80%-target interests in common. If I won't like them, at least I can say "I tried and I did my best". Only 60% dedicated to him because 40% will still be for me and for those other things I could still learn for myself. But this I know for a fact: Sharing the same interests matters BIG TIME in a relationship particularly with that of a husband's. Face the fact that husbands don't find happiness easily in buying shoes, bags, having new hairstyle or getting a face massage. No, it goes deeper than those. And though every weekend my husband goes with me and lets me loose in a shoe store, in the corner of my eyes I see that he's sitting at that corner, tapping his foot, impatient to get out of there and "helping" me by giving weird shoe suggestions.

As my first step to this HUBBY PROJECT, I'm taking surf lessons eventhough water is my biggest fear in life (he surfs a lot, his nickname is Fish) and listening to engineering stuff that matters much to him. But hey, learning is never ending once you become a wife. And next year, his 2011 should be 60% dedicated to me.

***

GOLD BEHIND DUST AND RUST
Posted by Tess

When I was still single I used to hear from older couples that you will never know a person until you decide to live together under the same roof. I must admit that I didn't pay much attention to it until now. After being married for a year, it is slowly making sense to me.

I've known my husband for years before we jumped to the big C (commitment), but I didn't see the antique "picker" in him until I reign as the "queen" of his haven. The first few weeks I was cleaning his (in fairness) well kept "Man Cave", I was struck by a lot of items, which in my vocabulary I categorize as junk, everywhere. Many times I was tempted to put them away if not toss them, but every time my husband saw me dusting them, it always made him  nervous.

One weekend, I accidently saw the program, "Pickers" on TV and I realized why these items I thought of as junk meant a lot to my husband. It turned out, anything important part of our history - may it be a coin, a signature of an icon, signage, painting - they all carry value to us! 

If mother will hear my discovery, I'm sure she'll inspect her trash meticulously and think twice (or thrice) before throwing it away...










***
Relying on my hubby's talents
posted by May

My hubby like engineering stuff. Anything that has to do with measurements, perfection and creative results, he goes for them. What do I do? I like creating and designing. If not in paper, I make mental plots and sketches in my mind.. Coz believe it or not, the mind and spirit may be willing but most of the time, the body is not so I rely on my husband's talents. IN SEWING. What started as "can you please try to do this for me?" lines, became a hobby he enjoys. He is a surfer so now, this little idea is developing to a new hobby: surf board shorts design. And no, it's not for women only. In fact, men can sew 100 times better than men. Case and point:


dress I asked him to make for me

precision for a first timer

my beach bag I asked him to make for me


4 comments:

  1. BOARD down in wherever snow is :)
    i agree that mr.rogers' hobbies are all DA but in a way of Dynamic Activity !!
    he probably enjoy the wakeboards!
    when i seee your 4S1W... wwoooo.. yeah i was like "Ah-Ha" blinking light next to my skull.. b/c when i looking for my own professional writer or editor for my research, i might ask you to do it srsly kkkkkkk reliable writer - treat you MAY as QUEEN (--)(__)(--)

    - nerd at U of Toronto

    ReplyDelete
  2. he does. by the way, I'm not editor :p I dont enjoy reading term or research papers, in fact mine sucks. But hey, if it's your work, I'd read it. You know how to email me. - May

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tess, cool MANLY collection! I love anything that resembles a "big game day" bar look. I actually love beer coasters and American football helmets. If I could have 2 bars in a house, I'd style one a sports bar for my hubby. But then, there can only be one so that's out...hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks May! I am starting to appreciate husband's collections. I can't wait to move to the next house though and exhibit my personal touch on our Carribean motiff...

    ReplyDelete