Monday, December 20, 2010

Do-it-Yourself Home Crafts

Christmas DIY Decors
created by May

We have a lot of old tree ornaments that I dont find very flattering for our themed Christmas Tree. I didnt want to toss them out because these were my husband's favorite childhood ornaments. So, to make use of some of them, here are some do-it-yourself ways to save the old, unused tree ornaments:

Tree Ornaments. Buy a cheap planter from a nearby garden shop, $1.00. Transfer some of the low growing plants and trim them to same height. Get a piece of old ornament and glue it on the planter box. Money spent: $1.00

DIY photo by May Rogers

I have boxes of unused gift ribbons that I do not find useful for me to reuse and resend this Christmas. I like to buy presents with new wrappers and new ribbons and tags. But I am trying to be eco-friendly in everything especially packaging (I'm also repackaging Trendygirls shoes and accessories to be more environment-friendly) so I found other home projects so I could use these old ribbons.

Old Gift Ribbons. Get a candle you have lying around the house. Get a ribbon, preferably organza material with glitters and tie this ribbon around the candle. Now you have new Christmas decors around which cost you nothing! Tip: do this to 2 or 3 candles to brighten up a corner in your kitchen or room.

photo by May Rogers candles in the kitchen

It is my first Christmas after living in Korea where Christmas is not celebrated. So, I wanted to follow the American custom of hanging stockings with family names embroidered on them. Where do I start?

Personalized Christmas Stockings. I went to dollar plus, a store selling cheap small items such as crafts and home accessories. I got 2 stockings for $3.00 each but they don't customize so I had to do it myself. I bought embroidery needles and thread (they are different from sewing needles and thread) and I drew our names, stitched them with gold thread and in less than an hour, we have our very first Christmas stockings! We do not have a fireplace yet so I hang them in living room wall.


Dollar plus stockings $3.00 each made of felt fabric

writing my name on it

not the best embroidery but it works!

Our island-theme home furnishings need to be spiced up. We have lots of fabric left-overs from previous projects so those scraps must to be used for something else that could help brighten up our too-simple household look.

Table Runners. They are expensive when purchased at a mall. So I thought of making one. Of course, when it comes to sewing, I suck so my hubby did this for me. I chose the fabric patterns. Just a simple rectangular cut and finish it with bias tape. I wanna attach tassels to both ends too but that has got to wait till I get to Singer Warehouse.

Our DIY leaf-patterned table runner

Christmas Theme boxes
Stack Boxes are popular home decor but they cost too much. Finally found cheaper gift boxes with hard board at Sears for $2.40 each. Stack them up in your room. You can put your cosmetics and other accessories, they look pretty, decorative boxes and your room will be clutter-free! I chose a design that can go with any season.


stack boxes can go as high as 4 levels

2 comments: