Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Surprise Ideas 101

Birthday Chronicles
posted by May

Birthdays are celebrated in different ways, in many ways. It was my husband's birthday and 6 days prior to his big day, I concocted a special project to make my small gift treasures stretch to what seems like "expensive days ahead". Nothing but a week-long shower of gifts and a week-long celebration of HIM alone can brighten up his busy days at work. In a marriage, except ourselves (the wives), there's also the husbands who, without voicing it out, have simple materialistic needs that are shoved to the back because wives' needs alone cost too much, how much more with theirs added?

So with a budget of $100 and the poetry in my head, I carefully planned ERIC'S TREASURE HUNT. The hunt was consisted of 5 poems & puzzles that lead to the teenie treasures. I posted photos and prices so you can get the idea of how to stretch out a budget. All presents were carefully selected, I didn't rush. I made it a point that all things reflect who he is and what he loves. All poems I created.


Day 1:
A yellow balloon pops for a clue
But without luck for me you cannot see
GIve wifey 3 dimes and 3 pennies
And you can pop it free!

35 steps for a 35 year-old-hubby
Put on your big shoes and find a wifey
35 steps there will be
a buried treasure find and see.

the balloons with clue inside

Treasure hunt at night by the beach


His treasure: a Macys tree angel ornament saying "I love you this much" - $6.00


Day 2:
A red balloon comes your way
To lead you to a treasure wrapped in blue
Narrate 35 states and this gift I say
Is yours to come true

Since wifey is sick today
Buried treasure is easy to locate
Think of wifey's present in blue
That she received from hubby 2 Christmas eves


Day 2 clue carrier

his treasure: wrapped in blue (he loves cider) - $10.00

Day 3:
US presidents battle to win
A taste of the freedom or success within
Now hunt for your success with this
Recite 35 presidents, dont wear yourself too thin!

As flat as can be the world was said to be
Of course nobody believed it, though it does seem flat to me
My love is not flat but find your treasure
As simple as that



Day 3 green balloon with clue: he almost didnt get through this one

posted where he wont miss it - bathroom mirror


His "flat" treasure but full of love from me :) - $5.00

Day 4:
This bloody balloon will pop
Treats for a hubby there is no doubt
3+5 minutes down by the sea,
There you will be healthy

When you come back
Relax and hunt this little treat
Green is the color
Hidden underneath your big green treasure




3+5 minutes by the sea jogging to get to his clue


Happy "boy" got his Halloween treats: Chocolates - $ 6.00

Day 5:
Birds perch above
But not the wifey
Name 35 trees around
Then pop a blue balloon you won't be out

A treasure hunt that will soon end
Hunt this thing hanging on a thread
Covered in green you will see
Hidden is this cute little thingy



yes, we have a tree inside the house

His simple treasure: he loves books & cats so I gave him a kitty bookmark - $5.00

Day 6: THE BIG DAY
For his special birthday dinner, we had a private party, just the two of us. I cooked and prepared everything the whole day to make it look unforgettable. I baked him cupcakes, blew up more balloons and gave him a REAL present. Funny, the following night, he surprised me with a special dinner at my favorite hotel on Kauai - Hyatt Kauai. It wasn't my birthday!


the balloons

the veggies


chicken fajitas I made from my trustee cookbook

tired wifey - I fell asleep right after dinner

Cupcakes I baked: Lemon chiffon with cheese frostings. I spent $15.00

wishing and blowing: one for him, one for me

my meal at posh Hyatt hotel
Final give I gave him jeans from Macys (INC International) - $50.00. Total for everything: $97.00 + balloons. I was excitedly happy, he was ecstatic. Bliss.



No comments:

Post a Comment